Soft Cut-Out, Gluten-free Sugar Cookies
To all the Gluten-free people out there that want to get in on the cookie-cutting, icing and eating during the holiday season, I give you a versatile Soft, Cut-Out Sugar Cookie that’s sure to be a smash hit! They taste great alone, topped with Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting, or dipped in homemade eggnog, yummmm.
Tip for cutting the cookies: I like to use only a little bit of flour on my dough and then use a layer of wax paper to roll it out. This way, the cut-out cookies are not overly floured.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups coconut sugar
- 1 large free-range egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (really impacts the flavour of the cookies)
- 2 and 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Baking 1 to 1 flour (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamed and smooth - about 1 minute. Add the coconut sugar and beat on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 or 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract and beat on high until fully combine, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Turn the mixer down to low and add about half of the flour mixture, beating until just barely combined. Add the rest of the flour and continue mixing until just combined. If the dough still seems too soft, you can add 1 Tablespoon more flour until it is a better consistency for rolling.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Roll each portion out onto a piece of parchment to about 1/4″ thickness. Stack the pieces (with paper) onto a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day. Chilling is mandatory.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Remove your dough from the refrigerator. roll it out, and cut out the cookies, placing them on the prepared cookie sheet. (Tip) I like to use only a little bit of flour on my dough and then use a layer of wax paper to roll it out. This way, the cut-out cookies are not overly floured.
- The amount of batches will depend on how large/small you cut your cookies. Remove one of the dough pieces from the refrigerator and using a cookie cutter, cut in shapes. Transfer the cut cookie dough to the prepared baking sheet. Re-roll the remaining dough and continue cutting until all is used.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes, until lightly brown on the bottom. Make sure you rotate the baking sheet halfway through bake time. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- Decoration tips: My tangy cream cheese frosting pairs well with these cookies, without being overly sweet.
- All credit for the original recipe goes to Sally over at sallysbakingaddition.com
- You can use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose flour in this recipe if you do not have the Baking 1 to 1 Flour. However, you must whisk 1/2 tsp Plus 1/8 tsp xanthan gum into the flour before adding the flour to the recipe. The xanthan gum is necessary for making the cookies stick together.